What is Tata Sky+ Transfer HD?
Tata Sky+ Transfer HD is a new generation Personal Video Recorder (PVR) with the capability of delivering HD picture quality and Dolby Digital Plus 7.1 surround sound. Additionally the Tata Sky+ Transfer HD set top box allows you to transfer/ stream & consume recorded content on companion devices like smart phones and tablets.
Following is the list of features that are available
- Transfer functionality (2GO): Watch recorded content of STB on iOS and Android devices without consuming internet data bandwidth.
- Pause + Record + Rewind Live TV
- 500 GB hard disk that can record up to 625 hours of content
- 1080i high definition picture quality
- 16:9 Wide Aspect Ratio
- Three tuners (third tuner will be for future use)
- 1 - USB 2.0 port on the rear & 1- USB 2.0 port on right side
- CVBS (Composite Video & Stereo audio connectors) interface
- Optical S/PDIF
- Dolby Digital Plus (with up to 7.1 channels of premium quality Surround Sound)
- Series Record Link
- Video-on-demand (VoD)
What is the Transfer feature on the Tata Sky Mobile app?
Transfer feature on the Tata Sky mobile app allows you to view the recorded content from the Tata Sky+ Transfer HD set top box on your device.
This feature allows you to
- Transfer Recorded content to device over Wi-Fi
- Stream Recorded content from the Tata Sky+ Transfer HD (set top box) to the device over Wi-Fi
What are the devices Transfer feature will be available on?
Transfer feature will be available on iOS and Android devices.
How can I access Transfer feature?
You can access Transfer only if you have a Tata Sky+ Transfer HD set top box and a supported device with the Tata Sky Mobile app installed. Following are the steps to follow to begin using transfer feature
- You will need a Tata Sky+ Transfer HD set top box
- You will need to download the Tata Sky Mobile app to access this feature
- You will need to register his device via the Tata Sky Mobile app
- You will need to subscribe to the Transfer pack for each registered device on which he chooses to enjoy the service
- Home Wi-Fi network is required
- Tata Sky+ Transfer HD set to box and device need to be connected to the same Wi-Fi network
This app is available for free on the App store, Google Play Store.
How do I use the Transfer feature?
- To be able to transfer content, you need to have recorded content on your STB
- Launch the Tata Sky Mobile app
- Tap on ‘Transfer’ on the home screen. By default, you will be in the ‘My Box’ section.
- If your box and device are on the same WiFi network, you will see your recorded content displayed in the ‘My Box’ section
- You can now select the content of your choice and once you tap on ‘Transfer’, the content will start the transfer process
- Once the transfer is done, you have to visit the ‘My Phone/My Pad’ section to view this content.
- All you have to do is tap on ‘Play’, and you can view your content, no matter where you are.
Why is my HD content not available in HD when I transfer the content to my device?
The transfer of video happens in only the following resolution irrespective of the channel the content was recorded form.
Resolution of the video when transferred is 400*224
How long will it take to transfer a video from the Tata Sky+ Transfer HD set top box to the device?
The transfer process from the Tata Sky+ Transfer HD set top box to the device is a two-step process. The first step of the process is when the set top box prepares the recorded content to a mobile ready format (format of video that the device will understand) and the second step is when the set top box transfers the mobile ready video to the device.
The preparing phase on the set top box is a real time process; that means a 30min video will take 30 mins to prepare and create a mobile ready video for the mobile device.
The transferring phase will take approximately 5 minutes to transfer a 30 minute video; the speed also depends on the network traffic at the time.
I am unable to access the Transfer feature?
Please ensure the below to enjoy uninterrupted access to Transfer feature:
- You have a Tata Sky+ Transfer HD set top box
- You have a device that supports Transfer feature.
- Your device is registered with Tata Sky & Transfer feature is activated on your device
- You are connected to the internet
- Please bear in mind that if you are not connected to the internet, you can only enjoy transfered videos for a maximum of 48 hours.
- If you are out of India, you will be unable to use Transfer feature.
Will all my recorded content be available to stream/Transfer?
No, some shows and content from channels listed below will not available to stream/transfer
Why am I not able to view certain recorded content in the ‘My Box’ section of the transfer module?
The broadcaster does not have the rights to allow you to transfer some shows and channels. The list of channels whose shows will not be available is given above.
Can I set to transfer a video and stream another video from the set top box to the device?
No, both the actions will not work in parallel. When you try to stream a video the transfer of the video will pause automatically. Once the streaming is closed the transfer will resume.
I selected a video to transfer. Can I cancel this?
Yes, you can cancel any transfer activity any time before completion.
Will my transferred video be available on the device forever?
Videos transferred to the device will be auto deleted based on the following rule
- If the recorded content from STB is transferred to device and not viewed it will delete in 48 hrs;
- If the video is started immediately after transfer the video will be available for 24 hrs
- If the video is started in the 48th hour after it is transferred the video will be available for another 24 hrs.
i.e. Minimum time on device then is 24 hrs and maximum is 72 hrs.
On expiry, does a video get deleted by itself or do I have to delete it?
On expiry, the video will get deleted on its own from your device.
Is there a limit to the amount of times I can watch a transferred video?
No. You can watch the video as many amount of times as you wish till the video expires.
Can I view transferred videos even if I am not connected to the internet?
Yes. You can view transferred videos even if you are not connected to the internet for a maximum of 48 hours or till the expiry date, whichever is the first. If the video has still not expired but you are unable to view, please connect the device to the internet for a couple of minutes and go to the Transfer section of the Tata Sky Mobile app.
Can I fast forward, pause or rewind videos?
Yes. You can fast forward, pause or rewind videos. Just tap on the screen while viewing the video in full screen mode and drag the blue dot on the progress bar to the position you wish to start viewing the video from.
Upon closing/minimizing the Tata Sky Mobile app, does the video keep on downloading in the background?
No. The application should be open for the transfer to be completed.
Note: The preparing of the video before the transfer begins does not require you to keep the app running.
When I transfer a video, is it using the memory space on my device?
Yes. Transferred video uses your device memory.
The below table shows the approximate amount of memory space used upon downloading a video.
Registration & Activation
How do I register for the Transfer feature?
To access Transfer feature from the Tata Sky Mobile app on your Android and Apple devices, you need to follow the below steps:
- Download the free Tata Sky Mobile app from the Apple App Store, Google Play Store
- Login with your Subscriber ID/ RMN (if not a registered subscriber on mytatasky.com, one can register directly through the app)
- Assign a friendly name to register your device. Eg: my iPhone, dad’s galaxy etc
You can subscribe to the Transfer pack by any of the following ways
- Tapping on the Transfer icon in the Tata Sky Mobile app – following which the pack will get added automatically to your account
- Adding the pack to your account at www.mytatasky.com
- By contacting our call centre on any of our numbers
- The Transfer pack will be activated on the device automatically after the app validates for all business rules.
- You will now be able to stream/transfer recorded content from your Tata Sky+ Transfer HD set top box to your device
What is a friendly name?
A friendly name is a unique name that you give to your device while registering the device with Tata Sky. This will help you identify the device you want to activate Everywhere TV/Transfer service from the devices that you have registered. Eg: my phone, my ipad, etc
Can I change the friendly name that I give to the device, any time later?
No. Friendly name once given during the registration process cannot be changed later. You will have to delete the device and re-register the friendly name. To delete a device, please call the Tata Sky helpline.
How many devices can I register?
You can register as many devices you want with Tata Sky free of charge. However you can activate Everywhere TV on a maximum of 2 devices only per subscriber ID.
Can I activate Transfer on more than 1 device?
Yes. You can activate Transfer on a maximum of 2 registered devices. Each device will need to be activated separately.
Is there a charge for the Transfer service?
No, there is no charge for Transfer service.
Do I have to pay anything for downloading the Tata Sky Mobile app?
No. The app is available free on App Store, Google Play and our website.
Do I need to be a Tata Sky+ Transfer HD subscriber to access the Transfer service?
Yes, to activate Transfer service you need to be an active Tata Sky+ Transfer HD subscriber.
I am not a Tata Sky subscriber can I still access the service?
No. You need to be an active Tata Sky subscriber to be able to activate Transfer.
My Tata Sky account is currently in de-active state, can I still use Transfer?
No, you need to be an active Tata Sky subscriber to enjoy Transfer on your device.
Which platforms is this service available on?
Currently the service is available only on Android and Apple devices.
Is this service also available on Windows Phone & Nokia Symbian or Blackberry Phones?
No. Currently the service is only for Android and Apple devices.
What is the minimum specification of hardware required on my Android devices?
All Android phones and Tablets with following minimum requirements and above are supported
- OS version: 4.1.2
- Minimum CPU : 1.2 GHz
- Minimum RAM : 1 GB
What are the Operating Systems required on my Android and Apple devices?
Following Operating Systems are supported:
iOS 6.0 and above
Android 4.1.2 and above
I have a jailbroken/rooted device and I have downloaded the Tata Sky Mobile app but I am unable to register my device?
Owing to Tata Sky’s security agreement with content providers, Transfer and Everywhere TV is not supported on jailbroken/ rooted devices.
I have an iOS 5.0 mobile device, can I use the app?
No. Transfer service is accessible only through the Tata Sky Mobile app. This app is available on iOS 6.0 or higher.
I have Samsung S3 with version 4.0, can I use Transfer service?
No. Transfer service is accessible only through the Tata Sky Mobile app on the devices and OS versions mentioned above.
I have an Android phone, but I am not able to download the app?
The Tata Sky Mobile app is available only on Android devices that have the following minimum OS version 4.1.2
I have activated Transfer on my device but I see a message saying “This Device is not supported”
Owing to Tata Sky’s security agreement with content providers, Everywhere TV is not supported on jailbroken/ rooted devices
Do I need internet on my device to access Transfer?
Yes. You need to be connected to the internet only during launch of the app so that Tata Sky can verify that you are allowed to use transfer feature.
Internet is not required to while using the transfer feature.
What type of internet connections can be used to access Transfer service?
The Tata Sky+ Transfer HD set top box and the Device containing the Tata Sky Mobile app with Transfer enabled need to be connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
That means the set top box and the device have to be connected to the same Wi-Fi router.
What are the data charges that I would be charged with while accessing Transfer feature?
The data charges applicable would be as specified by your internet/mobile service provider. Please check with you internet/mobile service provider for the applicable data charges.
What will happen if my internet router stops suddenly while streaming recorded content on the device?
The streaming will stop and app will show error stating “Wi-Fi signal not available. Please ensure your Tata Sky+ Transfer HD set top box and this device are currently connected to the same Wi-Fi network.”
What will happen if my internet router stops suddenly while transferring a video?
The app will stop transferring the video and transfer will resume when the router connection is restored again.
Dropping Transfer service
How can I drop or stop Transfer service?
I lost my phone, how do I stop the service?
My phone is not working now, how do I stop the service?
I have sold my phone, how do I stop the Transfer service?
To drop/stop Transfer service please call the Tata Sky Helpline.
How do I delete/ de-register my mobile device from mytatasky.com?
To delete a registered mobile device you need to call the Tata Sky helpline.
Where can I see the list of registered devices on mytatasky.com?
To see the list of registered devices, go to the ‘Mobile Services’ section once you log in to mytatasky.com
How do I activate Transfer service thorough mytatasky.com?
To activate Transfer on your registered device:
- Login to mytatasky.com
- Click on the Mobile services tab
- You will see a list of devices that you have registered with Tata Sky
- Select the device & click on Activate Transfer
- Now you can enjoy Transfer on your device.
Can I delete a registered device from the mytatasky.com?
You cannot delete devices directly from mytatasky.com, you need to call the Tata Sky helpline to delete a mobile device or drop Everywhere TV.