Tata Sky crosses 1 million mark in record time
Aims for more than 8 million by year 2012
New Delhi, August 8, 2007: Tata Sky Ltd., the JV between the TATA Group and STAR has crossed the one million connections mark in its first year of operations*. This milestone marks the fastest first million reached by any DTH platform in the world.
Mr. Vikram Kaushik, Managing Director & CEO, Tata Sky Ltd. said, “Tata Sky has achieved significant success in its first year of operation. The one million connection* mark in a short span of twelve months vindicates our commitment to transform the way people watch television in India. In the last one year, we have managed to create a distinct place for ourselves in the pay television market as well as in the minds of our consumers with our superior product offering, unparalleled customer service and continuous product innovations through our Actve technology. Now the Indian consumers have a world-class alternative to cable service.”
“We expect our subscriber growth to accelerate in the future and it is our endeavor to cross the 8 million mark in the next five years,” Mr. Kaushik added.
Within a span of one year, Tata Sky has:
- Established itself as the fastest growing Pay TV platform in India
- Established Tata Sky as a trusted and premium brand: achieved 87% brand awareness within the first six months of launch
- Expanded its product offering from 55 television channels at the time of launch to over 120 channels and interactive services (Actve Games, Actve Sports, Actve STAR News, Actve Khabar, Actve Newsroom and Actve Wizkids)
- Launched Actve Wizkids, the first-of-its-kind education based interactive service in the world that teaches children through learning games
- Set up state-of-the-art digital infrastructure including an uplink centre in Gurgaon and three high-end 24x7 call centres in Hyderabad, Mohali and Pune supporting 11 languages (English, Hindi, Marathi, Gujarati, Punjabi, Malayalam, Kannada, Tamil, Telegu, Oriya and Bengali)
- Expanded its distribution network from 300 towns and 10,000 dealers at the time of launch to 4,500 towns and 30,000 dealers across the country
- Simultaneously trained 5000 people in a span of 6 months across 180 cities (the largest corporate training initiative in India)
- Become the gold standard in customer service: achieved globally best-in-class (durable and telecom industries) customer satisfaction scores (eQ Score = 88 according to the Nielsen study)
- Introduced first-time ever interactive television promotions across popular television channels including Sony (Indian Idol highlights on-demand), STAR World & STAR One (Koffee with Karan Contest) and STAR Gold (Tata Sky Pure Gold Krrish Contest & Tata Sky Pure Gold Don Contest)
*One million connections includes all such connections, which were activated at any point of time, single, multiroom and trade connections.